Sunday, February 28, 2010

Budgeting and Being Boring

A friend of mine brought it to my attention recently that there is strong correlation between budgeting and living a boring, sequestered life devoid of entertainment and excitement. 

This observation does seem rather well founded.  So then the question is: which direction does the causality run?  Are we budgeters boring because we budget? Or do we have some other personality trait that causes us to be boring and also to budget? 

Hard to tell, which is unfortunate because the answer would probably shed some light on whether it is possible for someone to be a budgeter while not having a boring life and it would certainly lend some insight into how one approaches achieving such a state of being.

3 comments:

Shelli said...

!

I resent the fact that you used the word "correlation" in your post. I feel like it was a direct hit.

And unfortunately, this whole thought process has been going through my head ALL DAY. Now that I am a budgeter (small shudder) will my life suddenly turn into a boring mass of nothingness? Already I've ruled out the possibility of going to FHE because bowling will not fit into my budget. And realized that the birthday party on Wednesday, which happens to be a dinner, will have to be MADE to fit into the budget. But I'm beginning to be antsy. If I want to..say...travel, then I can't spend ANYTHING or I'll never be able to travel.

I guess we are just going to have to find some LIVELY things to do that don't involve our budgets.

I can already think of a few...

Wm Krohn said...

And now you see one of the reasons I opt out of FHE on a regular basis (though this is not the only reason). I'd just really rather spend my money on other things.

I think there is hope for our budgeting lives yet. But if not, having a life that is a "boring mass of nothingness" isn't all bad. I think I can speak from personally experience on that one.

J said...

Hmmm, well perhaps I am an outlier then because I love my life and I am definitely a budgeter...I even converted my wife!

Post a Comment