Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Straws on the Camel's Back

The following is a list of things that absolutely drive me crazy. If you want to get me to start beating people with a crowbar or smashing people's faces in with a Maglite, these are a great start. This is also a list of things that my current roommates seem completely apathetic about:
  • Dishes soaking in the sink. They collect standing water and food debris and smell very bad very quickly. I can usually smell it within 24 hours; shortly after that I start smelling it as soon as I walk into the room. They also make the sink totally unusable. I don't really care if people don't wash their dishes—just put them next to the sink.
  • My utensils, glasses, knives, etc. soaking in the sink. Things rust and things break. Few things are not put at serious risk by soaking in the sink. I can't tell you how many things I have had damaged or ruined by roommates because of this alone.
  • Unrinsed dishrags left in the sink. They reek. And once they start reeking washing them is a lost cause.
  • Food regularly spilled on the tablecloth. We can't even go 8 hours.
  • Not rinsing out the bathroom sink. I don't have a problem with people shaving or spitting in the sink. But leaving the stuff there afterward?
  • Dirty laundry left in the bathroom. It shouldn't be that difficult. If you forget something for a day, oh well. But leaving it there for a week? You can't possibly not realize that it's yours after that long.
  • Not replacing the toilet paper roll. I think the new roll would simply stay on the counter if I didn't put it on the dispenser. I can't think of a better act of supreme laziness. It takes 3 seconds. Literally. Then again, I have been practicing for years—maybe if you never do it then it can take upwards of 5 minutes. I wouldn't know.
I don't think that I have that extreme of demands. I'm just asking for a teensy bit of adult responsibility. Maybe that's too much.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

*shakes head*
Smelly dishrags are the WORST! As soon as you touch them, your hands smell for the next 24 hours.

I'm sorry you live with...wait, did you say they were humans or animals?

Andrew said...

My heart is going out to you. I have nearly had breakdowns due to each of those things throughout my roommate-dom (and probably caused as many for my roommates, including you at one time). Be strong, my friend.

Post a Comment