Thursday, July 9, 2009

Nerd versus Sports Jock

While I was at my parents' house today one of my sister Samantha's friends stopped by to pick her up. In the few minutes he was there he said something to me like:
Samantha says you are the biggest nerd in your family but I don't think you look look like a nerd. I think you look more like a sports jock.
I'm not really sure how to take that. Compliment? Insult to my intelligence? Not sure. In any case, apparently I don't look as much like a nerd as a think, at least.

After he left, his comment was a topic of conversation. My mom attributes the difference in my apparent nerdiness directly to my having had LASIK. She thinks I look a lot less nerdy now than I did before. Samantha has the same opinion. One more reason I'm glad to have had LASIK. My sister Robyn insists that it was a compliment.

So I'm certainly glad I don't have the blatant appearance of a nerd anymore, but I do hope I still look kinda smart at least.

3 comments:

C. said...

I think you have retained the appearance of intelligence but am not certain I would take being called a Jock a compliment. For me and the British populus it is synonymous with idiot, and I don't that is one your attributes.

Wm Krohn said...

I'm glad to hear that. I have always considered it to be fairly synonymous with an idiot as well. So I was quite taken aback when he said it and didn't really know how to react to such a statement. I think he had good intentions, though.

Dave Buck said...

I think that being called a jock is synonymous with idiot to the American populace as well. i could see you as a basketball kind of guy based on your body type.

Post a Comment